For winter quarter 2024 the following UD courses will be offered:
- LIN 4200 Second Language Acquisition (5 credits) online with Dr. Katya Nemtchinova
- LIN 4950 Special Topics: Comparative Linguistics (5 credits) on campus with Dr. Bonnie Henson
For spring quarter 2024 the following UD courses will be offered:
- LIN 4899 Linguistics Capstone Seminar (3 credits) with Dr. Nemtchinova
- LIN 2500 Computational Linguistics I (3 credits) with Martin Horn
- LIN 4430 Sociolinguistics (5 credits) with Dr. Bonnie Henson
This program in SPU’s Department of Languages, Cultures, and Linguistics explores several aspects of the study of linguistics, including:
- Language universals and linguistic creativity
- Systems of sound and meaning, and phrase and sentence structure
- Linguistic diversity
- Child and adult language acquisition and learning
- This historical development of language families
This major or minor could be ideal if you are preparing to enter fields such as anthropology, global development, global and urban ministries, sociology, or specific languages.
You will receive a thorough grounding in general linguistic theory, as well as an opportunity for work in more specific sub-fields such as sociolinguistics or second-language acquisition.
You may enter the minor during your first quarter at SPU. Entrance after your first quarter requires only good academic standing (2.0 or higher SPU cumulative GPA). Consult the undergraduate catalog
for complete information on how and when to enter and what you must do to complete the program.